- Search Search Please fill out this field.
- Career Planning
- Finding a Job
Transfer Request Letter and Email Examples
How to Write a Transfer Request Letter
How to write a transfer request email, transfer request letter template, transfer request letter sample, transfer request email example.
Grace Kim / The Balance
Are you relocating to a new city? If you’re happy with your current employer—and the organization is large enough to have opportunities in your new area—consider whether a transfer to a new job at the same company might be an option. It may be the most logical place to begin a job search in a new city or a new state .
Start by having a discussion with your manager or human resources representative about the possibility of a transfer and what employment opportunities are available at the new location. That way, the company won't be surprised when they get your letter or email.
However, the company may ask for a formal written request. In this situation, you will need to write a job transfer request letter. (If you're interested in transferring to another department within the company you work for, use this job transfer letter instead.)
1. Be Professional. Your letter should be written in standard business-letter format, just like any professional correspondence.
A written relocation transfer request letter should begin with your contact information, the date, and the contact information for your supervisor or human resources manager.
Your letter should begin with a formal salutation, your purpose for writing, and evidence supporting why your request should be considered. Politely request the supervisor’s assistance in gaining a position at your preferred location. Use an appropriate closing to end your letter.
2. Say Thank You. Be sure to express your appreciation for their help and, if you can, include some kind and complimentary sentiments for your colleagues at your current job.
3. Include Your Resume. It’s a good idea to include a copy of your resume , to refresh your manager’s memory regarding your skills and qualifications. Make sure you update your resume and tweak it to match the job description of your target position first.
4. Use Sample Letters to Guide Your Writing. The more professionalism you present, the better your chances of having your transfer approved. Use examples for requesting a transfer to a new company location as inspiration for your own letter. Be sure to customize your letter for your situation.
5. Edit and Proofread Before Sending. Proofread all your documents carefully. Paying attention to the details shows that you’re interested in doing a good job, which will make your supervisor more likely to help you with your request.
When proofreading, pay close attention to the spelling of names and job titles.
1. Don’t Be Too Casual. Even if you’re sending your email to your direct manager, and you have an extremely positive relationship, it’s important to remember that this is professional correspondence. Use an appropriate tone and be sure to format your email as a business letter (minus the contact information paragraphs that would lead a snail-mail request).
2. Choose an Appropriate Subject Line. The subject line of your email should include what you are requesting – either a transfer or relocation. For example, “Transfer Request - Firstname Lastname” would be an appropriate subject, letting the recipient know the content of the email and its level of importance.
3. Include Your Contact Information in Your Signature. Be sure that your email signature includes your email address and cell phone number, so that your manager or HR person can follow up with you.
4. Test Your Email. Proofread your message and send yourself a test email to make sure that your formatting holds up. Sending yourself a test will also give you another chance to spot typos and errors before you send in your request.
Download the transfer request letter template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Reggie Jones 123 Main Street Anytown, CA, 12345 firstname.lastname@example.org 555-555-5555
March 1, 20XX
Jennifer Lee Manager XYZ, Inc. 123 Business Rd. Business City, NY 54321
Dear Ms. Lee,
I am writing to request consideration for a transfer from my position at XYZ Inc. to a similar position at the XYZ office located in Dallas, Texas. My family has experienced some changes which necessitate the need for me to be in closer proximity to them.
I have enjoyed working here for the past seven years and appreciate the experience I have gained. I have held several positions at XYZ, which have given me an excellent overview of the company’s operations.
I am confident that my in-depth knowledge and strong communication skills would be an asset to the staff in Dallas. While I will regret leaving my colleagues here, I feel that I could contribute significantly to the company’s potential growth in Texas.
I am enclosing my updated resume for your review. Thank you for your consideration and assistance in this matter. If you need any additional information, please contact me.
Reggie Jones (signature hard copy letter)
Subject: Application for Transfer
I would like to respectfully inquire about the possibility of a transfer from Cassy’s in Anytown, NY to the Newcity, OH location. My spouse has received a job opportunity there, which would begin next month. I have enjoyed working here for the past six years, first as Assistant Manager, and in my recent promotion to Manager. I feel that I have been an asset in the Bridal Department and would like to continue my association with the company.
I am able to stay on for several weeks to help train someone to fill the position I will leave here in Anytown. I know several employees at the store who would make good candidates for the position and would be happy to share my thoughts with you.
My experience at Cassy’s has been very rewarding, and I would appreciate the opportunity to continue my career with the company.
I have attached a copy of my resume for your convenience. Your thoughtful consideration of my request is greatly appreciated.
Andy Lau, Manager email@example.com 123-456-7890
Tips for Getting a Transfer Approved
- Talk to your boss or human resources manager about transfer options before you put in a formal request.
- If you need to request a transfer in writing, write a letter highlighting why you're making the request.
- Start with a professional letter sample or template, and tailor it to fit your own circumstances.
- Use your letter to explain what you can offer the company at the new location.
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.
Letter of Transfer of Work Assignment
Save, fill-In The Blanks, Print, Done!
Download Letter of Transfer of Work Assignment
Or select the format you want and we convert it for you for free:
- This Document Has Been Certified by a Professional
- 100% customizable
- This is a digital download (10.5 kB)
- Language: English
- We recommend downloading this file onto your computer.
DISCLAIMER Nothing on this site shall be considered legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is established.
Leave a Reply. If you have any questions or remarks, feel free to post them below.
European printable flags
- Work Conformation Transfer Letter
- Employee Promotion Transfer Letter Format
- Employee Transfer Letter
- Resignation Letter for Temporary Position
- Renewal Membership Application Letter
- Excel Home Inventory
- Conference Agenda Format
- Construction Incident Investigation Report
- European printable flags How many European countries have a cross in their flag? Find the free printable flags of all European countries and download them for free.
- Google Docs How to create documents in Google Docs? We provide Google Docs compatible template and these are the reasons why it's useful to work with Google Docs...
- Christmas Templates Christmas is coming soon... Be prepared with nice Christmas letters, invitations, social posts etc and check out these Christmas templates now!
- IT Security Standards Kit What are IT Security Standards? Check out our collection of this newly updated IT Security Kit Standard templates, including policies, controls, processes, checklists, procedures and other documents.
- GDPR Compliance Templates What do you need to become GDPR compliant? Are you looking for useful GDPR document templates to make you compliant? All these compliance documents will be available to download instantly...
Fire the committee. No great website in history has been conceived of by more than three people. Not one. This is a deal breaker. | Seth Godin
Receive the template in another format, for free!
Confirm a Transfer, Promotion, or Relocation Assignment: The Importance of a Well-Written Letter
In the world of business, it’s common for employees to be transferred, promoted, or relocated to other departments, offices, or even different countries. While these changes can be exciting and promising, they also require a proper communication channel to ensure clarity, consistency, and professionalism.
One of the most important tools for communicating these changes is a “Confirm a Transfer, Promotion, or Relocation Assignment” letter. This letter serves as a written record of the new position, responsibilities, and other relevant details, which helps to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding in the future.
Confirm a Transfer, Promotion, or Relocation Assignment • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
This letter is written confirmation of something with which your reader is already familiar. Provide only minimal instructions and information.
How to write this confirmation letter:
- Confirm the transfer, promotion, or relocation.
- Mention when the change will become effective.
- Mention any other pertinent information or instructions.
Example Letter #1
Your promotion and new assignment has been confirmed. As of January 1, you will be District Sales Manager of the entire Kansas area.
I am pleased to inform you also that your request for reimbursement of moving expenses has been approved. Please submit your receipts as soon as possible and the Company will reimburse your moving costs up to $8,000.00.
Doe International welcomes you aboard its management team and wishes you continued success in this new position.
Example Letter #2
This letter is to confirm your request for a transfer from our housewares department to women's clothing.
As we discussed in our meeting, you are scheduled for sales training at 8 a.m. on January 15. The department head has been informed that you will report to her immediately after the two-hour training session.
Example Letter #3
As we discussed on the telephone yesterday, your transfer has been approved. Starting on July 1, 2018, you will be assigned to the systems development department at your present level.
Jane Doe, who is department administrative assistant, will be available to help you get settled in your new work station.
Example Letter #4
We were very pleased to hear that personnel gave final approval for your promotion to unit supervisor. You will join the new unit on July 9, 2019. Please see Jane Doe in personnel to fill out the requisite payroll forms, and pick up a unit orientation packet from the unit secretary. Congratulations on your new position.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Confirm the transfer, promotion, or relocation.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Your transfer from Research and Development to Marketing has been approved and confirmed.
- This letter is to confirm your promotion to assistant manager.
- Your relocation to Springfield has been confirmed.
- This letter is to confirm our conversation of July 3, in which we decided that you would relocate to our Springfield office.
- This letter is to confirm your promotion to station chief, as well as to confirm your transfer to our office in Springfield.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate your willingness to
- are pleased to confirm
- as was mentioned
- as we discussed
- extend a warm greeting to
- extends congratulations on
- following up on our
- has been approved
- has been confirmed
- has been promoted to
- once again, congratulations on
- pleased to have you along
- this letter is to confirm
- to our office in
- to confirm and clarify
- to confirm your transfer to
- to confirm our conversation
- your relocation to
- your promotion to
- your transfer from
2 Mention when the change will become effective.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Your relocation to our Springfield office becomes effective on July 7.
- Your reassignment becomes effective on Monday, April 4.
- We expect you to begin work in your new office on July 7.
- This change will become effective next Monday, June 6.
- The marketing team in Springfield is looking forward to you joining them, starting July 7.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- are looking forward to
- as soon as possible
- as soon as you arrive
- at the end of
- becomes effective on
- before the beginning of
- by the end of
- effective immediately
- expected that
- join them on
- no later than
- not until after
- preferably before
- to be in your new office on
- will take effect on
- will start on
- will have ample time to
- will become effective on
- with the arrival of
- within thirty days
- without delay
3 Mention any other pertinent information or instructions.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Congratulations on your promotion.
- Be sure to see John in payroll to fill out a new withholding form.
- Make sure that you see Jane in Human Services to get a copy of our company's help video on foreign relocations.
- Since Jane's old office has become available, feel free to move your things there.
- Please see Jane Doe early Monday morning before you start your new assignment. She would like to meet you and has some materials to give you.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- be sure to see
- before you start
- can put you in touch with
- feel free to
- for the necessary training
- for orientation on
- get in touch with
- if you have any questions
- make sure that you see
- on the particulars
- please meet with
- please arrange to
- please report to
- please consult with
- set up an appointment with
- the enclosed materials
- unless we hear otherwise
- will give you additional details
- will fill you in
- will receive training on
- will answer any questions you may have
- will make an appointment
- would like you to meet with her
- would like to meet you
Recommended letter-writing resources.
Action Verbs for Resumes and Cover Letters
Business Letter Format Tips
Free Transfer of Work Assignment Letter | Template.net
Transfer of work assignment letter.
101 Oak Lane
Hillcrest, OH 43216
May 1, 2050
Francis Johnson Marketing Officer 199 Dolor Ave.
Dear Mr. Johnson,
I am writing to inform you of your transfer which has been made effective from May 5, 2050. You will be working on the 10th floor of the office with the Delta Team until further notice.
The decision for this move has been mainly influenced by the constructive changes o foster productivity in the workplace. You will be given time to gather your office equipment and make the changes before continuing your duties.
I am confident that this change will bring about notable improvements and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me
Sincerely, Sadie Harris