- Awards Season
- Big Stories
- Pop Culture
- Video Games
Why Landline Telephone Repair Service is Essential for Your Home or Business
In a world dominated by smartphones and digital communication, it’s easy to overlook the importance of landline telephones. However, for both homes and businesses, having a reliable landline telephone system is still crucial. And when issues arise, a professional landline telephone repair service becomes essential. In this article, we will explore the reasons why landline telephone repair service should be a priority for your home or business.
Ensuring Smooth Communication
Effective communication is the backbone of any successful home or business operation. Landline telephones provide a stable and dependable means of communication that can be relied upon even in times of power outages or network disruptions. However, just like any other electronic device, landline telephones can experience technical problems that may disrupt your communication channels.
By having access to a professional landline telephone repair service, you can ensure that any issues with your phone system are resolved promptly and efficiently. Whether it’s crackling sounds on the line, dropped calls, or other connectivity problems, experienced technicians can diagnose and fix these issues to restore smooth communication within your home or business.
Extending the Lifespan of Your Equipment
Investing in a high-quality landline telephone system can be expensive. Therefore, it’s important to protect this investment by properly maintaining and repairing any issues that may arise over time. Regular maintenance check-ups by professional repair services can help identify potential problems early on before they become major issues.
By addressing minor faults promptly through regular servicing and repairs, you can extend the lifespan of your equipment significantly. This not only saves you money by avoiding costly replacements but also ensures that you have a reliable means of communication at all times.
For businesses especially, downtime due to phone system failures can result in lost sales opportunities and decreased productivity. Customers may struggle to reach you or receive poor quality service, leading to a negative impact on your reputation. On the other hand, employees may face difficulties communicating with clients or other team members, hindering collaboration and workflow.
By having a trusted landline telephone repair service on standby, you can minimize downtime in case of any phone system issues. These professionals can quickly identify the root cause of the problem and implement necessary repairs or replacements efficiently. This allows you to get back up and running in no time, ensuring your business operations continue smoothly.
Expertise and Industry Knowledge
Landline telephone repair services employ technicians who possess extensive expertise and industry knowledge. They are familiar with various types of landline telephone systems, their intricate workings, and common issues that may arise. This expertise allows them to diagnose problems accurately and provide appropriate solutions.
Attempting to fix landline telephone issues yourself without proper knowledge or experience can lead to further damage or ineffective repairs. By relying on professionals who specialize in landline telephone repair, you can be confident that your equipment is in capable hands.
In conclusion, having access to a reliable landline telephone repair service is essential for both homes and businesses. It ensures smooth communication channels, extends the lifespan of your equipment, minimizes downtime, and provides access to expert knowledge and skills. By prioritizing regular maintenance check-ups and promptly addressing any issues that arise, you can enjoy uninterrupted communication within your home or business environment.
This text was generated using a large language model, and select text has been reviewed and moderated for purposes such as readability.
MORE FROM ASK.COM
Don't bother with copy and paste.
Get this complete sample business plan as a free text document.
Computer Repair Business Plan
Start your own computer repair business plan
Executive Summary executive summary is a brief introduction to your business plan. It describes your business, the problem that it solves, your target market, and financial highlights.">
We depend on our computers. Finding reliable expertise is a problem for anybody who doesn’t have a direct channel via a company, employer, friend, or relative. We solve that problem.
PC Repair will provide computer and technical consulting (repairs, training, networking and upgrade service) to local small businesses as well as home PC users. The company will focus on marketing, responsiveness, quality, and creating and retaining customer relations.
The very nature of the computing industry, with its extraordinary rate of technological development, creates a constant need for businesses skilled in updating and advising customers on computer-related issues. In town, the majority of potential customers are dissatisfied with existing options, creating an attractive niche for an innovative start-up. Small business PC users will provide the majority of our business revenue. Business Week expects the computing industry to grow at a rate of 12% and the processor speeds to continue to expand for years to come, providing a rich resource for sales.
PC Repair has decided to focus mainly on the small business market, as these customers typically don’t have a full-time IT person, but have full-time IT needs. PC Repair will offer an affordable, on-demand service for these customers. We can also offer maintenance agreements that generate additional monthly income. For our residential customers, we will offer a very affordable and helpful service with a very flexible schedule to meet their needs. Our target market will focus on Ramsford-on-Bitstream and the surrounding areas. Market research indicates there is an abundance of business for a small company such as PC Repair.
Secondary market research shows computer service customers tend to be very loyal to providers that do good work and satisfy their needs. An analysis of PC Repair’s main competitors shows no overwhelming strengths that would be significant barriers to entry into the market, as our local competitors have serious weaknesses.
The computer maintenance and repair industry is fragmented, with a few large, national players and hundreds of small, local stores. While most computers are actually repaired in-store, near the customer, parts for the repair come from major manufacturers and distributors; delays in receiving necessary parts can significantly slow down the repair process. Large chains have solved this problem by keeping vast amounts of inventory in stock at all times, while local stores offer customers the trade-off of personal interaction and trust that may make up for some delay.
PC Repair has established a relationship with a local distributor to do rapid special-ordering; although this capability is more expensive than normal channels, it will enable us to quickly establish a reputation as efficient and responsive to customer needs, particularly for our small business users. We will leverage this customer loyalty into great word of mouth marketing and steady growth.
PC repair will set the standard for on-site computer solutions through fast, on-site service and response. Our customers will always receive one-on-one personal attention at a very affordable price. Our customers will receive the highest quality of customer service available. Our employees will receive extensive training, a great place to work, fair pay and benefits, and incentives to use their own good judgement to solve customers’ problems.
With our good cost control, we will see a modest, yet comfortable, net profit the first year, even after moving into a leased space and hiring additional technicians. We lose money slightly in the second and third year, but we are paying the owner’s salaries and the loss is covered in cash flow. And there will be tax benefits. We do expect to be profitable for the long term.
Financial Highlights by Year
We will be getting $43,000 to start. That will be a $20,000 loan and $23,000 from the owner.
Start your own business plan
Your business plan can look as polished and professional as this sample plan. It's fast and easy, with LivePlan.
The quickest way to turn a business idea into a business plan
Fill-in-the-blanks and automatic financials make it easy.
No thanks, I prefer writing 40-page documents.
Flash Sale. 40% Off the #1 rated business plan builder
How to Start a Computer Repair Business From Home
- Small Business
- Types of Businesses to Start
- Starting a Home Business
- ')" data-event="social share" data-info="Pinterest" aria-label="Share on Pinterest">
- ')" data-event="social share" data-info="Reddit" aria-label="Share on Reddit">
- ')" data-event="social share" data-info="Flipboard" aria-label="Share on Flipboard">
How to Start a Candy & Cake Business
How to change the printer driver name in a list, how to transfer a file using usb.
- How to Export Excel to VCard on a Mac
- How to Adjust Brightness on an iMac
Turn your knowledge of computers into a home-based business by applying for business license and marketing your services. Home-based computer repair services help individuals and small businesses maintain computer equipment by providing expert knowledge and personal attention to customer service. Depending on your expertise, you can repair internal issues, perform virus removal, increase computing speed. As a home-based business owner, your overhead expenses are typically less than those who operate a storefront business.
Write a business plan for your home-based computer repair business. Describe your training and expertise in repairing specific computer issues in the first section. List all startup costs, such as materials and supplies and marketing costs in the second section. Create a marketing plan that includes the types of customers to target, places to advertise and ways to increase referrals from satisfied customers in the third section. List business owner responsibilities and daily tasks in the fourth section.
Apply for a business license. Contact your local county clerk's office or small business administration office for home-based business licensing information. Apply for an Employer Identification Number through the Internal Revenue Service. Use this number when filing tax and other business documents with state and federal agencies. Apply for a sales tax number through your state's department of revenue to accept sales tax from customers. Register your computer repair business with your state's secretary of state's office to form a corporation, limited liability company or partnership. Purchase home-based business insurance to protect computer equipment from damage or to cover the costs of a lawsuit or settlement.
Create a home office large enough to repair computer equipment, store additional materials and supplies and store files and invoices. Purchase bookkeeping and invoicing software to track customer orders, invoices and business earnings.
Market computer repair services by creating a website, company brochure, flier and business cards. Include customer testimonials, contact information and hourly rates on your website and in the brochure. Attend local small business networking events, consumer trade shows or contact small businesses to market your services.
- Entrepreneur: Starting a PC Repair Business
- IRS.gov: Employer ID Numbers (EIN's)
- Maintain any computer certifications you currently have and continue your education by attending courses offered by local trade schools, community colleges or vocational schools to keep up with ever changing technology.
- Do not provide computer repair services that you are unqualified to perform as you could cause permanent damage to computer equipment.
Based in the Washington metro area, Jessica Jones has been a freelance writer since 2006, specializing in business topics. Her fiction has also been featured in publications such as "The Jamaican Observer Sunday Literary Supplement" and at websites including HackWriters. Jones earned a Master of Fine Arts in fiction writing from Lesley University.
Starting a car accessories business, how to start your own web design business, how to delete a sol file, how to open your own wig store, how to start your own towing company, how to open a dvd drive on a hp laptop, how to assign a drive letter to an iphone, how to add a second hard drive in windows 8, how to transfer zune to itunes, most popular.
- 1 Starting a Car Accessories Business
- 2 How to Start Your Own Web Design Business
- 3 How to Delete a SOL File
- 4 How to Open Your Own Wig Store
Academia.edu no longer supports Internet Explorer.
To browse Academia.edu and the wider internet faster and more securely, please take a few seconds to upgrade your browser .
Enter the email address you signed up with and we'll email you a reset link.
- We're Hiring!
- Help Center
Computer repair business plan
1.0 Executive Summary PC Repair will provide computer and technical consulting (repairs, training, networking and upgrade service) to local small businesses as well as home PC users. The company will focus on marketing, responsiveness, quality, and creating and retaining customer relations.
- We're Hiring!
- Help Center
- Find new research papers in:
- Health Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Cognitive Science
- Computer Science
- Academia ©2023
Computer Repair Business Plan Template
Written by Dave Lavinsky
Computer Repair Business Plan
Over the past 20+ years, we have helped over 1,000 entrepreneurs and business owners create business plans to start and grow their computer repair businesses. On this page, we will first give you some background information with regards to the importance of business planning. We will then go through a computer repair business plan template step-by-step so you can create your plan today.
Download our Ultimate Business Plan Template here >
What Is a Business Plan?
A business plan provides a snapshot of your computer repair business as it stands today, and lays out your growth plan for the next five years. It explains your business goals and your strategy for reaching them. It also includes market research to support your plans.
Why You Need a Business Plan
If you’re looking to start a computer repair business, or grow your existing computer repair business, you need a business plan. A business plan will help you raise funding, if needed, and plan out the growth of your computer repair business in order to improve your chances of success. Your business plan is a living document that should be updated annually as your company grows and changes.
Sources of Funding for Computer Repair Businesses
With regards to funding, the main sources of funding for a computer repair business are personal savings, credit cards, bank loans and angel investors. With regards to bank loans, banks will want to review your business plan and gain confidence that you will be able to repay your loan and interest. To acquire this confidence, the lender will not only want to confirm that your financials are reasonable, but they will also want to see a professional plan. Such a plan will give them the confidence that you can successfully and professionally operate a business. Personal savings and bank loans are the most common funding paths for computer repair businesses.
How to Write a Business Plan for a Computer Repair & Maintenance Company
If you want to start a computer repair business or expand your current one, you need a business plan. Below we detail what should be included in each section of your own business plan:
Your executive summary provides an introduction to your business plan, but it is normally the last section you write because it provides a summary of each key section of your plan.
The goal of your Executive Summary is to quickly engage the reader. Explain to them the type of computer repair business you are operating and its status. For example, are you a startup, do you have a computer repair business that you would like to grow, or are you operating computer repair businesses in multiple markets?
Next, provide an overview of each of the subsequent sections of your plan. For example, give a brief overview of the computer repair industry. Discuss the type of computer repair business you are operating. Detail your direct competitors. Give an overview of your target customers. Provide a snapshot of your marketing plan. Identify the key members of your team. And offer an overview of your financial plan.
In your company analysis, you will detail the type of computer repair business you are operating.
For example, you might operate one of the following types of computer repair businesses:
- Hardware repair : this type of business provides repairs to physical units such as PCs and motherboards, game systems, accessories, etc.
- Software repair: this type of business involves troubleshooting, operating system updates, and virus removal.
- IT services: this type of business provides a range of services for IT products and components, including upgrades, installation and maintenance, security testing, technical support, and both hardware and software repairs.
In addition to explaining the type of computer repair business you will operate, the Company Analysis section of your business plan needs to provide background on the business.
Include answers to question such as:
- When and why did you start the business?
- What milestones have you achieved to date? Milestones could include the number of repairs completed, maintenance contracts signed, etc.
- Your legal structure. Are you incorporated as an S-Corp? An LLC? A sole proprietorship? Explain your legal structure here.
In your industry analysis, you need to provide an overview of the computer repair industry.
While this may seem unnecessary, it serves multiple purposes.
First, researching the computer repair industry educates you. It helps you understand the market in which you are operating.
Secondly, market research can improve your strategy, particularly if your research identifies market trends.
The third reason for market research is to prove to readers that you are an expert in your industry. By conducting the market research and presenting it in your plan, you achieve just that.
The following questions should be answered in the industry analysis section:
- How big is the PC repair industry (in dollars)?
- Is the market declining or increasing?
- Who are the key competitors in the market?
- Who are the key suppliers in the market?
- What trends are affecting the industry?
- What is the industry’s growth forecast over the next 5 – 10 years?
- What is the relevant market size? That is, how big is the potential market for your computer repair business? You can extrapolate such a figure by assessing the size of the market in the entire country and then applying that figure to your local population.
The customer analysis section must detail the computer service customers you serve and/or expect to serve.
The following are examples of customer segments: small businesses, nonprofits, government entities, and individuals.
As you can imagine, the customer segment(s) you choose will have a great impact on the type of PC repair business you operate. Clearly, government entities would respond to different marketing promotions than nonprofits, for example.
Try to break out your target customers in terms of their demographic and psychographic profiles. With regards to demographics, include a discussion of the ages, genders, locations and income levels of the customers you seek to serve. Because most computer repair businesses primarily serve customers living in the same city or town, such demographic information is easy to find on government websites.
Psychographic profiles explain the wants and needs of your computer service customers. The more you can understand and define these needs, the better you will do in attracting and retaining your customers.
Finish Your Computer Repair Business Plan in 1 Day!
Don’t you wish there was a faster, easier way to finish your business plan?
With Growthink’s Ultimate Business Plan Template you can finish your plan in just 8 hours or less!
Click here to finish your business plan today.
Your competitive analysis should identify the indirect and direct competitors your business faces and then focus on the latter.
Direct competitors are other computer repair businesses.
Indirect competitors are other options that customers have to purchase from that aren’t direct competitors. This includes warranty repair options, or from dedicated in-house IT teams.
With regards to direct competition, you want to describe the other PC repair businesses with which you compete. Most likely, your direct competitors will be computer repair businesses located very close to your location.
For each such competitor, provide an overview of their businesses and document their strengths and weaknesses. Unless you once worked at your competitors’ businesses, it will be impossible to know everything about them. But you should be able to find out key things about them such as:
- What types of customers do they serve?
- Do they specialize in specific services (i.e. PC repair, Apple product repair, software services, etc.)?
- What is their pricing (premium, low, etc.)?
- What are they good at?
- What are their weaknesses?
With regards to the last two questions, think about your answers from the customers’ perspective. And don’t be afraid to ask your competitors’ customers what they like most and least about them.
The final part of your competitive analysis section is to document your areas of competitive advantage. For example:
- Will you provide either a wider range or more specialized range of services?
- Will you offer features such as mobile repair?
- Will you provide superior customer service?
- Will you offer better pricing?
Think about ways you will outperform your competition and document them in this section of your plan.
Traditionally, a marketing plan includes the four P’s: Product, Price, Place, and Promotion. For a computer maintenance and repair company, your marketing plan should include the following:
Product : In the product section, you should reiterate the type of computer repair company that you documented in your Company Analysis. Then, detail the specific products you will be offering. For example, in addition to PC hardware repair, will your PC repair business provide software upgrade services?
Price : Document the prices you will offer and how they compare to your competitors. Essentially in the product and price sub-sections of your marketing plan, you are presenting the services you offer and their prices.
Place : Place refers to the location of your computer repair company. Document your location and mention how the location will impact your success. For example, will you operate from a physical office, or will you primarily interact with clients at their home or place of business? In this section, discuss how your location will affect demand for your services.
Promotions : The final part of your marketing plan is the promotions section. Here you will document how you will drive customers to your location(s). The following are some promotional methods you might consider:
- Advertising in local papers and magazines
- Reaching out to local websites
- Signs and billboards
- Social media marketing
- Local radio advertising
While the earlier sections of your computer support business plan explained your goals, your operations plan describes how you will meet them. Your operations plan should have two distinct sections as follows.
Everyday short-term processes include all of the tasks involved in running your PC repair business, including marketing, providing consultations, troubleshooting, providing the actual repairs, keeping abreast of new technology, etc.
Long-term goals are the milestones you hope to achieve. These could include the dates when you expect to repair your 100th PC, or when you hope to reach $X in revenue. It could also be when you expect to open a computer repair business in a new location.
To demonstrate your computer repair business’ ability to succeed, a strong management team is essential. Highlight your key players’ backgrounds, emphasizing those skills and experiences that prove their ability to grow a company.
Ideally you and/or your team members have direct experience in managing PC repair businesses. If so, highlight this experience and expertise. But also highlight any experience that you think will help your business succeed.
If your team is lacking, consider assembling an advisory board. An advisory board would include 2 to 8 individuals who would act like mentors to your business. They would help answer questions and provide strategic guidance. If needed, look for advisory board members with experience in repairing electronics, or successfully running IT businesses.
Your financial plan should include your 5-year financial statement broken out both monthly or quarterly for the first year and then annually. Your financial statements include your income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statements.
Income Statement : an income statement is more commonly called a Profit and Loss statement or P&L. It shows your revenues and then subtracts your costs to show whether you turned a profit or not.
In developing your income statement, you need to devise assumptions. For example, will you provide hardware repairs exclusively, or will you also offer help desk services and software upgrades? And will sales grow by 2% or 10% per year? As you can imagine, your choice of assumptions will greatly impact the financial forecasts for your business. As much as possible, conduct research to try to root your assumptions in reality.
Balance Sheets : Balance sheets show your assets and liabilities. While balance sheets can include much information, try to simplify them to the key items you need to know about. For instance, if you spend $50,000 on building out your computer repair business, this will not give you immediate profits. Rather it is an asset that will hopefully help you generate profits for years to come. Likewise, if a bank writes you a check for $50,000, you don’t need to pay it back immediately. Rather, that is a liability you will pay back over time.
Cash Flow Statement : Your cash flow statement will help determine how much money you need to start or grow your business, and make sure you never run out of money. What most entrepreneurs and business owners don’t realize is that you can turn a profit but run out of money and go bankrupt.
In developing your Income Statement and Balance Sheets be sure to include several of the key costs needed in starting or growing a PC repair business:
- Office build-out
- Cost of buying or leasing a company vehicle
- Cost of office supplies such as computers and software
- Payroll or salaries paid to staff
- Business insurance
- Taxes and permits
- Legal expenses
Attach your full financial projections in the appendix of your plan along with any supporting documents that make your plan more compelling. For example, you might include your office lease, or an overview of the services you offer.
Putting together a business plan for your computer repair business is a worthwhile endeavor. If you follow the template above, by the time you are done, you will truly be an expert. You will really understand the computer repair industry, your competition, and your customers. You will have developed a marketing plan and will really understand what it takes to launch and grow a successful computer repair business.
Computer Repair Business Plan FAQs
What is the easiest way to complete my computer repair business plan.
Growthink's Ultimate Business Plan Template allows you to quickly and easily complete your Computer Repair Business Plan.
What is the Goal of a Business Plan's Executive Summary?
The goal of your Executive Summary is to quickly engage the reader. Explain to them the type of computer repair business you are operating and the status; for example, are you a startup, do you have a computer repair business that you would like to grow, or are you operating a chain of computer repair businesses?
OR, Let Us Develop Your Plan For You
Since 1999, Growthink has developed business plans for thousands of companies who have gone on to achieve tremendous success.
Click here to see how Growthink’s business plan professional services can help you create a winning business.
Other Helpful Business Plan Articles & Templates
We earn commissions if you shop through the links below. Read more
Back to All Business Ideas
How to Start a Computer Repair Business
Written by: Carolyn Young
Carolyn Young is a business writer who focuses on entrepreneurial concepts and the business formation. She has over 25 years of experience in business roles, and has authored several entrepreneurship textbooks.
Edited by: David Lepeska
David has been writing and learning about business, finance and globalization for a quarter-century, starting with a small New York consulting firm in the 1990s.
Published on February 16, 2022 Updated on November 15, 2023
$4,050 - $12,100
$90,000 - $290,000 p.a.
Time to build
1 - 3 months
$72,000 - $145,000 p.a.
Who hasn’t dealt with a laptop accident or a nasty computer virus that required expert care? We’ve all been there, which is why US computer and electronics repair is worth $19 billion. If you’re good with computers, you could start your own repair service, bring people joy by fixing their computers and grab a little slice of this massive market.
Keep in mind, computer repair services don’t come cheap, and can run as high as $80 an hour. You can get in on the action for a small investment and run your repair firm from home. As your business grows, you could rent out a storefront and sell computers and other electronics, as well as repair them.
While computer skills are crucial, some business savvy is also required to launch a lucrative computer repair business. Fortunately, you’ll gain that savvy by reading this step-by-step guide and be on your way to success as a computer repair entrepreneur.
Looking to register your business? A limited liability company (LLC) is the best legal structure for new businesses because it is fast and simple.
Form your business immediately using ZenBusiness LLC formation service or hire one of the Best LLC Services .
Step 1: Decide if the Business Is Right for You
Pros and cons.
Starting a computer repair business has pros and cons to consider before deciding if it’s right for you.
- Good Money – Charge $60 to $80 per hour
- Flexibility – Run your business from home, work by appointment
- Solve Problems – Customers will appreciate your services
- Skills Required – Need to be a computer technician with excellent skills
- Shrinking Market – With low-cost laptops, many choose to replace not repair
Computer repair industry trends
The US computer repair services market is expected to see steady, if slow, growth through 2025, offering opportunities to skilled and committed technicians.(( https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-statistics/employment/electronic-computer-repair-services-united-states/ ))
Industry size and growth
- Industry size and past growth – The electronic and computer repair services industry in the US is worth more than $19 billion after a slight decline in recent years.(( https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-statistics/market-size/electronic-computer-repair-services-united-states/ ))
- Growth forecast – Computer repair businesses will find sustained demand for their services as the market is predicted to grow marginally at 1.3% per year through 2025.(( https://www.statista.com/outlook/io/others/repair-of-computers-personal-household-goods/united-states ))
- Number of businesses – There are more than 47,000 computer repair services providers in the US.(( https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-statistics/number-of-businesses/electronic-computer-repair-services-united-states/ ))
- Number of people employed – The industry employs more than 138,000 people.
Trends and challenges
Trends in computer repair include:
- The computer repair industry has turned to replacement of components rather than repair, as well as preventative services such as virus protection. Disaster recovery is also a service focus. Virus removal is still one of the most necessary services.
- The installation of networking systems for individuals and businesses is a large service opportunity for computer repair services.
- Mobile computer repair is in demand as people stay at home more and want the convenience of in-home repair.
Industry challenges include:
- As computer prices continue to drop, customers are often replacing computers instead of paying for expensive repairs or computer maintenance.
- The entrance of big players into the computer repair business, such as Best Buy’s Geek Squad, is putting pressure on small computer repair companies.
- Potential customer base – In 2018, 92% of US households had at least one type of computer.(( https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2021/computer-internet-use.html ))
- Average prices – The average cost to repair a computer is $60 per hour.(( https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/home-offices/computer-laptop-repair/ ))
What kind of people work in computer repair?
- Gender – 90% of computer repair technicians in the US are male, while 10% are female.(( https://www.zippia.com/computer-repair-technician-jobs/demographics/#gender-statistics ))
- Average level of education – 41% of computer repair technicians have an associate degree and 34% hold a bachelor’s degree.(( https://www.zippia.com/computer-repair-technician-jobs/demographics/#degree-level-types ))
- Average age – The average age of a computer repair technician is 41 years old.(( https://www.zippia.com/computer-repair-technician-jobs/demographics/#age-statistics ))
How much does it cost to start a computer repair business?
Startup costs for a computer repair business range from $4,000 to $12,000. The low end assumes that you’re already a certified technician with a reliable computer, and costs will be mainly a website, tools, and marketing. The high end includes the cost of a computer as well as training. All scenarios assume you’ll start a mobile computer repair business from home.
You can take online classes and gain high-level certification from the Computer Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) in 12 months for a total cost of around $2,000.
You’ll need a handful of items to successfully launch your computer repair business, including:
- Power supply testers
- Crimper pliers
- Thermal paste
- Thermal camera
How much can you earn from a computer repair business?
Prices for computer repair range from $60 to $80 per hour with an average of $70. Your profit margin should be around 80%.
In your first year or two, you could run your business from home and work 25 hours a week, bringing in $90,000 in annual revenue. This would mean more than $72,000 in profit, assuming that 80% margin. As your brand gains recognition and you hire technicians, sales could climb to 80 hours per week. With labor costs, your margin will drop to about 50%. With annual revenue of more than $290,000, you’d still make a tidy profit of $145,000.
What barriers to entry are there?
There are a few barriers to entry for a computer repair business. Your biggest challenges will be:
- The required training and certifications
- Competing with big players like Best Buy
- Generating the startup costs
Related Business Ideas
How to Start a Cell Phone Repair Business
How to Start a Small Engine Repair Business
How to Start a Knife Sharpening Business
Step 2: hone your idea.
Now that you know what’s involved in starting a computer repair business, it’s a good idea to hone your concept in preparation to enter a competitive market.
Market research will give you the upper hand, even if you’re already positive that you have a perfect product or service. Conducting market research is important, because it can help you understand your customers better, who your competitors are, and your business landscape.
Why? Identify an opportunity
Research computer repair businesses in your area to examine their services, price points, and customer reviews. You’re looking for a market gap to fill. For instance, maybe the local market is missing a company that installs high-security networks.
You might consider targeting a niche market by specializing in a certain aspect of your industry, such as firewalls and virus protection.
This could jumpstart your word-of-mouth marketing and attract clients right away.
What? Determine your products or services
Your services will depend on your skills. They may include:
- Virus removal
- Virus protection
- Data recovery
- Hardware repairs
- Accessory repairs
- Networking installation and support
- Computer maintenance
- Computer training
How much should you charge for computer repair services?
Computer repair usually runs $60 to $80 per hour. Your ongoing expenses should be limited to fuel and marketing so you should aim for a profit margin of 80% when you’re working by yourself.
Once you know your costs, you can use this Step By Step profit margin calculator to determine your markup and final price points. Remember, the prices you use at launch should be subject to change if warranted by the market.
Who? Identify your target market
You can decide if you want to target business customers or residential customers. You can find business customers on LinkedIn or find residential customers on Instagram and Facebook.
Where? Choose your business premises
In the early stages, you may want to run your business from home to keep costs low. But as your business grows, you’ll likely need to hire workers for various roles and may need to rent out an office or a storefront to sell computers and accessories. You can find commercial space to rent in your area on sites such as Craigslist , Crexi , and Instant Offices .
When choosing a commercial space, you may want to follow these rules of thumb:
- Central location accessible via public transport
- Ventilated and spacious, with good natural light
- Flexible lease that can be extended as your business grows
- Ready-to-use space with no major renovations or repairs needed
Step 3: Brainstorm a Computer Repair Business Name
Your business name is your business identity, so choose one that encapsulates your objectives, services, and mission in just a few words. You probably want a name that’s short and easy to remember, since much of your business, and your initial business in particular, will come from word-of-mouth referrals.
Here are some ideas for brainstorming your business name:
- Short, unique, and catchy names tend to stand out
- Names that are easy to say and spell tend to do better
- Name should be relevant to your product or service offerings
- Ask around — family, friends, colleagues, social media — for suggestions
- Including keywords, such as “computer repair” or “PC repair”, boosts SEO
- Name should allow for expansion, for ex: “The Cyber Surgeons” over “Apple Computer Repair Services”
- Avoid location-based names that might hinder future expansion
- Use online tools like the Step by Step Business Name Generator . Just type in a few keywords and hit “generate” and you’ll have dozens of suggestions at your fingertips.
Once you’ve got a list of potential names, visit the website of the US Patent and Trademark Office to make sure they are available for registration and check the availability of related domain names using our Domain Name Search tool. Using “.com” or “.org” sharply increases credibility, so it’s best to focus on these.
Find a Domain
Powered by GoDaddy.com
Finally, make your choice among the names that pass this screening and go ahead with domain registration and social media account creation. Your business name is one of the key differentiators that set your business apart. Once you pick your company name, and start with the branding, it is hard to change the business name. Therefore, it’s important to carefully consider your choice before you start a business entity.
Step 4: Create a Computer Repair Business Plan
Every business needs a plan. This will function as a guidebook to take your startup through the launch process and maintain focus on your key goals. A business plan also enables potential partners and investors to better understand your company and its vision:
- Executive Summary: A concise summary outlining the business’s mission, goals, and key highlights to provide a quick overview.
- Business Overview: An in-depth description of the computer repair business, including its mission, vision, and the problem it aims to solve.
- Product and Services: Detailed information on the computer repair services offered, such as hardware diagnostics, software troubleshooting, and maintenance.
- Market Analysis: Examination of the target market, identifying customer needs, preferences, and market trends for computer repair services.
- Competitive Analysis: Evaluation of competitors in the computer repair industry, highlighting strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
- Sales and Marketing: Strategies for promoting the computer repair business, attracting clients, and retaining them through effective sales and marketing techniques.
- Management Team: Introduction of key team members, their roles, and relevant expertise in managing and growing the computer repair business.
- Operations Plan: Detailed information on the day-to-day operations, including location, equipment, suppliers, and workflow for efficient service delivery.
- Financial Plan: Projections and analysis of the financial aspects of the business, including startup costs, revenue forecasts, and profit margins.
- Appendix: Supplementary materials such as additional financial data, resumes of key personnel, and any other relevant supporting documents.
If you’ve never created a business plan, it can be an intimidating task. You might consider hiring a business plan specialist to create a top-notch business plan for you.
Step 5: Register Your Business
Registering your business is an absolutely crucial step — it’s the prerequisite to paying taxes, raising capital, opening a bank account, and other guideposts on the road to getting a business up and running.
Plus, registration is exciting because it makes the entire process official. Once it’s complete, you’ll have your own business!
Choose where to register your company
Your business location is important because it can affect taxes, legal requirements, and revenue. Most people will register their business in the state where they live, but if you’re planning to expand, you might consider looking elsewhere, as some states could offer real advantages when it comes to computer repair businesses.
If you’re willing to move, you could really maximize your business! Keep in mind, it’s relatively easy to transfer your business to another state.
Choose your business structure
Business entities come in several varieties, each with its pros and cons. The legal structure you choose for your computer repair business will shape your taxes, personal liability, and business registration requirements, so choose wisely.
Here are the main options:
- Sole Proprietorship – The most common structure for small businesses makes no legal distinction between company and owner. All income goes to the owner, who’s also liable for any debts, losses, or liabilities incurred by the business. The owner pays taxes on business income on his or her personal tax return.
- General Partnership – Similar to a sole proprietorship, but for two or more people. Again, owners keep the profits and are liable for losses. The partners pay taxes on their share of business income on their personal tax returns.
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) – Combines the characteristics of corporations with those of sole proprietorships or partnerships. Again, the owners are not personally liable for debts.
- C Corp – Under this structure, the business is a distinct legal entity and the owner or owners are not personally liable for its debts. Owners take profits through shareholder dividends, rather than directly. The corporation pays taxes, and owners pay taxes on their dividends, which is sometimes referred to as double taxation.
- S Corp – An S-Corporation refers to the tax classification of the business but is not a business entity. An S-Corp can be either a corporation or an LLC , which just need to elect to be an S-Corp for tax status. In an S-Corp, income is passed through directly to shareholders, who pay taxes on their share of business income on their personal tax returns.
We recommend that new business owners choose LLC as it offers liability protection and pass-through taxation while being simpler to form than a corporation. You can form an LLC in as little as five minutes using an online LLC formation service. They will check that your business name is available before filing, submit your articles of organization , and answer any questions you might have.
Form Your LLC
Choose Your State
We recommend ZenBusiness as the Best LLC Service for 2023
Step 6: Register for Taxes
The final step before you’re able to pay taxes is getting an Employer Identification Number , or EIN. You can file for your EIN online or by mail or fax: visit the IRS website to learn more. Keep in mind, if you’ve chosen to be a sole proprietorship you can simply use your social security number as your EIN.
Once you have your EIN, you’ll need to choose your tax year. Financially speaking, your business will operate in a calendar year (January–December) or a fiscal year, a 12-month period that can start in any month. This will determine your tax cycle, while your business structure will determine which taxes you’ll pay.
The IRS website also offers a tax-payers checklist , and taxes can be filed online.
It is important to consult an accountant or other professional to help you with your taxes to ensure you’re completing them correctly.
Step 7: Fund your Business
Securing financing is your next step and there are plenty of ways to raise capital:
- Bank loans: This is the most common method but getting approved requires a rock-solid business plan and strong credit history.
- SBA-guaranteed loans: The Small Business Administration can act as guarantor, helping gain that elusive bank approval via an SBA-guaranteed loan .
- Government grants: A handful of financial assistance programs help fund entrepreneurs. Visit Grants.gov to learn which might work for you.
- Friends and Family: Reach out to friends and family to provide a business loan or investment in your concept. It’s a good idea to have legal advice when doing so because SEC regulations apply.
- Crowdfunding: Websites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo offer an increasingly popular low-risk option, in which donors fund your vision. Entrepreneurial crowdfunding sites like Fundable and WeFunder enable multiple investors to fund your business.
- Personal: Self-fund your business via your savings or the sale of property or other assets.
Bank and SBA loans are probably the best options, other than friends and family, for funding a computer repair business.
Step 8: Apply for Computer Repair Business Licenses and Permits
Starting a computer repair business requires obtaining a number of licenses and permits from local, state, and federal governments.
Federal regulations, licenses, and permits associated with starting your business include doing business as (DBA), health licenses and permits from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration ( OSHA ), trademarks, copyrights, patents, and other intellectual properties, as well as industry-specific licenses and permits.
You may also need state-level and local county or city-based licenses and permits. The license requirements and how to obtain them vary, so check the websites of your state, city, and county governments or contact the appropriate person to learn more.
You could also check this SBA guide for your state’s requirements, but we recommend using MyCorporation’s Business License Compliance Package . They will research the exact forms you need for your business and state and provide them to ensure you’re fully compliant.
This is not a step to be taken lightly, as failing to comply with legal requirements can result in hefty penalties.
If you feel overwhelmed by this step or don’t know how to begin, it might be a good idea to hire a professional to help you check all the legal boxes.
Step 9: Open a Business Bank Account
Before you start making money, you’ll need a place to keep it, and that requires opening a bank account .
Keeping your business finances separate from your personal account makes it easy to file taxes and track your company’s income, so it’s worth doing even if you’re running your computer repair business as a sole proprietorship. Opening a business bank account is quite simple, and similar to opening a personal one. Most major banks offer accounts tailored for businesses — just inquire at your preferred bank to learn about their rates and features.
Banks vary in terms of offerings, so it’s a good idea to examine your options and select the best plan for you. Once you choose your bank, bring in your EIN (or Social Security Number if you decide on a sole proprietorship), articles of incorporation, and other legal documents and open your new account.
Step 10: Get Business Insurance
Business insurance is an area that often gets overlooked yet it can be vital to your success as an entrepreneur. Insurance protects you from unexpected events that can have a devastating impact on your business.
Here are some types of insurance to consider:
- General liability: The most comprehensive type of insurance, acting as a catch-all for many business elements that require coverage. If you get just one kind of insurance, this is it. It even protects against bodily injury and property damage.
- Business Property: Provides coverage for your equipment and supplies.
- Equipment Breakdown Insurance: Covers the cost of replacing or repairing equipment that has broken due to mechanical issues.
- Worker’s compensation: Provides compensation to employees injured on the job.
- Property: Covers your physical space, whether it is a cart, storefront, or office.
- Commercial auto: Protection for your company-owned vehicle.
- Professional liability: Protects against claims from a client who says they suffered a loss due to an error or omission in your work.
- Business owner’s policy (BOP): This is an insurance plan that acts as an all-in-one insurance policy, a combination of the above insurance types.
Step 11: Prepare to Launch
As opening day nears, prepare for launch by reviewing and improving some key elements of your business.
Essential software and tools
Being an entrepreneur often means wearing many hats, from marketing to sales to accounting, which can be overwhelming. Fortunately, many websites and digital tools are available to help simplify many business tasks.
You may want to use industry-specific software, such as Repair Shopr , SourceForge , or RepairDesk , to manage your appointments, repair tickets, invoicing, and reporting.
- Popular web-based accounting programs for smaller businesses include Quickbooks , Freshbooks , and Xero .
- If you’re unfamiliar with basic accounting, you may want to hire a professional, especially as you begin. The consequences for filing incorrect tax documents can be harsh, so accuracy is crucial.
Develop your website
Website development is crucial because your site is your online presence and needs to convince prospective clients of your expertise and professionalism.
You can create your own website using website builders . This route is very affordable, but figuring out how to build a website can be time-consuming. If you lack tech-savvy, you can hire a web designer or developer to create a custom website for your business.
They are unlikely to find your website, however, unless you follow Search Engine Optimization ( SEO ) practices. These are steps that help pages rank higher in the results of top search engines like Google.
For your computer repair business, the marketing strategy should focus on highlighting your technical expertise, quick turnaround times, and customer service excellence. Emphasize the convenience, reliability, and range of services you offer, from hardware repairs to software troubleshooting. The goal is to establish your business as the trusted local solution for both individual and business clients facing computer issues.
- Professional Branding : Your branding should communicate technical proficiency, trustworthiness, and approachability, from your logo to your storefront and online presence.
- Direct Outreach : Network with local businesses, educational institutions, and community organizations to offer your services and establish B2B relationships.
Digital Presence and Online Marketing
- Professional Website and SEO : Develop a user-friendly website that clearly outlines your services, pricing, and customer testimonials. Use SEO best practices to optimize for search terms related to computer repair, IT support, and tech services in your area.
- Social Media Engagement : Use platforms like Facebook and LinkedIn to share tech tips, service updates, and promote special offers.
Content Marketing and Engagement
- Tech Tips Blog : Publish blog posts about common computer issues, maintenance tips, and new technology trends.
- Customer Success Stories : Feature stories and testimonials from satisfied clients, highlighting how you resolved their tech challenges.
- How-To Videos and Guides : Create video content or guides on basic computer maintenance, cybersecurity tips, or software tutorials.
Experiential and In-Person Engagements
- Workshops and Clinics : Host educational workshops for the community on topics like internet safety, basic computer skills, or software use.
- Local Tech Events : Participate in or sponsor local tech fairs, business expos, or community events to showcase your expertise and services.
Collaborations and Community
- Partnerships with Local Businesses : Establish referral partnerships with local businesses that can benefit from or complement your services, like electronic stores or coworking spaces.
- Community Involvement : Support local community initiatives or charity events, which can help build goodwill and brand recognition.
Customer Relationship and Loyalty Programs
- Referral Programs : Implement a referral program that offers discounts or service upgrades to customers who refer new clients.
- Loyalty Discounts : Provide incentives or discounts to repeat customers, encouraging ongoing business relationships.
Promotions and Advertising
- Targeted Local Advertising : Use local advertising in community newspapers, online forums, and neighborhood platforms to reach potential customers.
- Email Marketing : Send regular newsletters with tech tips, service updates, and exclusive promotions to keep your client base engaged and informed.
Focus on USPs
Unique selling propositions, or USPs, are the characteristics of a product or service that set it apart from the competition. Customers today are inundated with buying options, so you’ll have a real advantage if they are able to quickly grasp how your computer repair business meets their needs or wishes. It’s wise to do all you can to ensure your USPs stand out on your website and in your marketing and promotional materials, stimulating buyer desire.
Global pizza chain Domino’s is renowned for its USP: “Hot pizza in 30 minutes or less, guaranteed.” Signature USPs for your computer repair business could be:
- 24-hour on-call certified computer repair
- Virus protection installation done in your home
- Networking diagnostics and repair to keep you connected
You may not like to network or use personal connections for business gain. But your personal and professional networks likely offer considerable untapped business potential. Maybe that Facebook friend you met in college is now running a computer repair business, or a LinkedIn contact of yours is connected to dozens of potential clients. Maybe your cousin or neighbor has been in computer repair for years and can offer invaluable insight and industry connections.
The possibilities are endless, so it’s a good idea to review your personal and professional networks and reach out to those with possible links to or interest in computer repair. You’ll probably generate new customers or find companies with which you could establish a partnership.
Step 12: Build Your Team
If you’re starting out small from a home office, you may not need any employees. But as your business grows, you will likely need workers to fill various roles. Potential positions for a computer repair business include:
- Computer Technicians – computer diagnostics and repair
- Dispatcher – take customer calls, dispatch technicians
- Marketing Lead – SEO strategies, social media, other marketing
At some point, you may need to hire all of these positions or simply a few, depending on the size and needs of your business. You might also hire multiple workers for a single role or a single worker for multiple roles, again depending on need.
Free-of-charge methods to recruit employees include posting ads on popular platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook, or Jobs.com. You might also consider a premium recruitment option, such as advertising on Indeed , Glassdoor , or ZipRecruiter . Further, if you have the resources, you could consider hiring a recruitment agency to help you find talent.
Step 13: Run a Computer Repair Business – Start Making Money!
More than 9 out of 10 US households have at least one type of computer, and most of those computers will break down at some point. You can grab a share of a massive $19 billion market by starting your own computer repair business. But instead of setting up a physical shop, you can opt to provide mobile services and run your business from home, so you can keep your costs minimal and make a nice living.
Now that you’re a business savvy entrepreneur, go get your business plan together and get ready to launch your computer repair business!
- Computer Repair Business FAQs
A computer business can be very profitable. Rates range from $60 to $80 per hour, and if you run your business from home, your ongoing expenses will be very low.
You can absolutely start a computer repair business from home. You’ll simply need to travel to clients’ homes to make the repairs.
You should respond to complaints and reviews immediately and do your best to resolve the complaints. Sometimes you may need to offer a refund.
There are many wholesaler suppliers who can provide parts and components. You should shop around for the best prices.
You need to create a strategic plan to grow your computer repair business. You should project how many clients you think you can acquire, and plan for the resources you’ll need to handle those clients.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
- Decide if the Business Is Right for You
- Hone Your Idea
- Brainstorm a Computer Repair Business Name
- Create a Computer Repair Business Plan
- Register Your Business
- Register for Taxes
- Fund your Business
- Apply for Computer Repair Business Licenses and Permits
- Open a Business Bank Account
- Get Business Insurance
- Prepare to Launch
- Build Your Team
- Run a Computer Repair Business - Start Making Money!
10 Best Repair Business Ideas
Published on December 1, 2022
It’s usually cheaper to have a corrupted hard drive or a defective battery replaced than buying a new laptop, which could be twice as expensive.Th ...
57 Best Service Business Ideas
The services sector is undoubtedly the biggest economic sector in the US as it accounts for nearly 70% of the country’s gross domestic product. It ...
10 Profitable Electronic Business Ideas
Published on July 29, 2022
In this digital age, businesses related to electronics hold great potential. So if you’re looking for a business opportunity, look no further than ...
How To Write a Business Plan for Computer Repair Business in 9 Steps: Checklist
By alex ryzhkov, resources on computer repair.
- Financial Model
- Business Plan
- Value Proposition
- One-Page Business Plan
According to a recent report, the computer repair industry is expected to grow by 2.3% in the next five years. This growth presents a great opportunity for new businesses entering the market. If you're planning to start a computer repair business, this checklist of nine steps will guide you through the process.
First and foremost, conducting market research is crucial for understanding the demand for your services. Analyzing your competition will help you differentiate your offerings and determine your target market. From there, you can develop a pricing strategy that is competitive and profitable.
Once you've established your market, it's time to develop a marketing plan that focuses on advertising and word-of-mouth. Financing your business should be considered early on, along with choosing a location and obtaining any necessary licenses and permits. Finally, hiring and training staff is essential for providing top-quality service to your customers.
By following these nine steps and regularly evaluating your business plan, you can position your computer repair business for success in a growing industry.
- Conduct market research
- Analyze competition
- Identify target market
- Determine pricing strategy
- Develop a marketing plan
- Secure funding
- Choose a location
- Obtain necessary licenses and permits
- Hire and train staff.
Conduct Market Research
Before starting a computer repair business, it's crucial to conduct thorough market research. This involves gathering information about the industry, competitors, and potential customers to make informed decisions about the business's direction and strategy.
- Identify the demand: Determine the demand for the services offered by a computer repair business in your area. Find out the number of computer users in your locality and their most common needs.
- Research competition: Find out how many computer repair businesses are already operating in your area and investigate their services, pricing strategies, and marketing tactics. Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your competitors and figure out what sets your business apart from them.
- Know your target market: Knowing the needs and preferences of your target market is important for a successful computer repair business. Assess the demographics and psychographics of potential customers, including their age, location, income, habits, preferences, and pain points.
- Find the current trends: Keep up with the latest technology trends and current affairs that may affect the industry. Research and learn about the latest software, hardware and other tools concerning computer repairs and servicing.
- Explore new opportunities: Research the latest trends in computer technology and explore new business opportunities that can help you stay ahead of the competition.
- Use online resources like industry associations, government websites, and market research reports for valuable insights and information
- Consider conducting surveys, polls or interviews with potential customers or industry experts to gather more data and insights about their needs, preferences, and pain points.
- Keep a record of your market research findings in a spreadsheet, document or online storage. You’ll need these records to refer back to your research findings as your business grows.
Before you launch your computer repair business, it's important to have a clear understanding of your competition. Here are some steps to follow to analyze your competition:
- Identify your competitors: Start by creating a list of competitors in your area who offer similar services to yours. Look up online directories and reviews to get an idea of who your competitors are, and identify their strengths and weaknesses.
- Research their pricing and packages: Look at your competitors' pricing and see what kinds of packages they offer. See how their prices compare with yours and what services they offer that you don't. You can use this information to adjust your rates and services accordingly.
- Check their online presence: See if your competitors have a website and social media pages. Study their online presence to understand their branding and how they present their services to customers. This can help you differentiate yourself and create a better online presence for your business.
- Assess customer reviews: Analyze your competitors' online customer reviews. See what customers like and don't like about their experience with your competitors. Identify common problems that your competitors face in the market and improve your services to avoid these issues.
- Make sure to gather as much information as you can about your competitors.
- Focus on creating a clear picture of your competitors' strengths and weaknesses. This will help you understand where your business can improve and what you should focus on in your marketing efforts.
By understanding your competition, you can position your computer repair business more effectively in the market. Use the information you gather in your analysis to differentiate your services, improve your pricing, packages, and online presence. You can also create a marketing plan that focuses on the areas in which your competitors are weak. Make sure to keep track of your competitors' activities and adapt your business strategy accordingly.
Identify Target Market
Identifying the target market for your computer repair business is crucial to ensure that your services are reaching the right people. By understanding your target market, you can tailor your marketing efforts and services to meet their specific needs. Here are some tips on identifying your target market:
- Research your market: Conduct thorough research on your potential customer base. Look for demographics such as age, gender, income, and location.
- Consider your services: Determine what type of computer repair services you will be offering and who would be most interested in those services.
- Look at your competition: Check out your competitors' marketing strategies and target audience. Analyze what works for them and what doesn't.
Starting with a broad customer base is not always the best approach as it could cause uncertainty in your services and advertising. The more specific your target market is, the easier it is to create effective marketing campaigns and provide quality service. For example, if you specialize in Apple product repair, you may choose to target Apple users specifically.
The location of your business also plays a significant role in determining your target market, as different areas have different needs. For instance, if your business is located in a residential heavy area, you may want to target families and individual consumers.
By targeting a specific market segment, you can also set your prices according to their ability to pay, thereby boosting your sales. For instance, if your target market is students, they may not afford high prices while still demand quality service.
Once you have identified your target market, use this information to create a marketing plan to attract and retain customers. Use appropriate channels, such as social media and online ads to reach them. Understanding your target market will also help in designing services that align with their needs and enhance your bottom-line.
Determine Pricing Strategy
Determining the pricing strategy for your computer repair business is a crucial part of your business plan. You need to ensure that your prices are competitive, profitable, and attractive to your target market. You can start by considering the following factors:
- Cost of Labor
- Cost of Materials and Supplies
- Overhead expenses
- Competitor Pricing
- Tax Expenses
It’s essential to calculate the total cost of your services accurately. You don’t want to charge too much and scare off potential customers, but you also don’t want to charge too little and make less profit than your business deserves.
- Offer tiered pricing for different types of services with varying degrees of complexity.
- Offer bundled services at discounted prices to upsell customers.
- Offer monthly maintenance plans for customers who prefer regular service and support.
Additionally, you should research your competitors' prices and services. This information can help you determine your market rates and help you develop a competitive pricing strategy.
Keep in mind that your target market also plays a significant role in determining your pricing strategy. You should research their buying habits and what they’re willing to pay for computer repair services. Are they looking for the cheapest services possible, or are they looking for service quality at competitive pricing?
Once you’ve calculated the cost and analyzed your competitors and target market, you can set prices for your services. Make sure to set prices that are competitive, reasonable, and provide adequate profit margins for your business.
Develop Marketing Plan
After conducting market research, analyzing competition, and identifying your target market, it's time to develop a solid marketing plan to promote your computer repair business and attract potential customers. Your marketing plan should outline specific strategies for both online and offline marketing channels, and must be flexible enough to allow for adjustments as you evaluate the effectiveness of your marketing efforts.
Online advertising is highly recommended for your computer repair business since most people search the web for any services they need. You can start by building a website for your business and optimizing it for search engines. Register your business on Google My Business and Bing Places for Business to ensure your shop appears on the first page of search engine results. Social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter are also great channels for promoting your business and engaging with potential customers.
Another effective online marketing strategy is paid advertising , such as Google AdWords or social media advertising. This will help you reach a larger audience and target customers who are already searching for computer repair services.
Word of mouth marketing is also critical for your business. Encourage satisfied customers to spread the word about your services, and consider offering referral discounts for customers who refer new clients to your shop.
Marketing Plan Tips
- Offer promotions and discounts to attract new customers
- Use professional, high-quality images on your website and social media channels to make a good impression
- Establish a relationship with local businesses and offer them special deals to promote your services among their employees
- Host events or workshops to educate your customers and attract new prospects
Remember that your marketing plan should be a living document, which means it should be reviewed and updated regularly to adapt to the changing needs of your business and your customers. Keep track of your results to determine which strategies are working and which need to be changed or abandoned.
Now that you have a solid business plan in place for your computer repair business, the next step is to finance your venture. Finding the right funding sources is crucial for a successful launch and sustainability of your business. Here are some options to consider:
- Personal savings: If you have personal savings, it is a great option to fund your business. It saves you from the hassle of pitching your business idea to potential investors.
- Loans: Consider taking a loan from a bank or credit union. You can apply for small business loans or personal loans based on your eligibility. Understand the terms, interest rate, and repayment options before finalizing any loan.
- Investors: Pitch your business idea to potential investors. There are various investor networks like AngelList, Gust, SeedInvest, etc. that may be interested in investing in your business.
- Calculate the amount you need for the initial investment. Don't overestimate the capital required as it can lead to difficulties in the future.
- Prepare a detailed business plan with projected cash flow and profits. Investors will be interested in knowing your financial projections and expected ROI.
- Be open to negotiations. Investors may ask for equity or other rights in return for their investment.
Once you have secured the funding, plan and manage your finances wisely. Keep track of cash flow, profit, and loss statements. Investing in accounting or financial management software can simplify the process.
Choose A Location
Choosing the right location for your computer repair business is crucial for its success. You want to select a location that is easily accessible to your customers, preferably in a busy area where your business can gain maximum visibility. Here are some important factors to consider when selecting a location:
- Foot Traffic: Look for a location with high foot traffic. This will increase the visibility of your business and attract potential customers. Busy shopping centers or business districts can be ideal locations for a computer repair business.
- Accessibility: Ensure that your business is easily accessible by car or public transport. Having a location that is easy to reach will make it more convenient for customers to drop off and pick up their computers.
- Competition: Be mindful of other computer repair businesses in the area. Look for a location that is not saturated with competitors. However, having a few competitors nearby can be an advantage as it can increase your visibility and validate the market demand for computer repair services in that area.
- Cost: Determine how much you can afford to spend on rent, utilities, and other expenses associated with operating your business. Choose a location that fits within your budget without compromising on other important factors.
- Size: Consider how much space you will need to operate your business. You want a location that is large enough to accommodate your equipment, customers, and staff. However, choosing a space that is too large can increase your expenses unnecessarily.
Tips for Choosing a Location
- Visit potential locations during different times of the day to assess foot traffic and activity levels
- Research the demographics of the area to see if it aligns with your target market
- Consider the surrounding businesses and their potential to attract customers to your business
- Factor in parking availability and costs for you and your customers
Choosing a location for your computer repair business may seem overwhelming, but with careful consideration of these important factors and the tips listed above, you can identify the ideal location that will set your business up for success.
Obtain Necessary Licenses and Permits
Before you can start your computer repair business, you need to ensure that you comply with all necessary laws and regulations in your state or local area. Here are some things to consider:
- Check with your local government to determine the licensing and permit requirements for your business.
- Determine if you need a sales tax permit to collect and remit sales tax for your services.
- Check if you need any specific permits or licenses for services such as a trade name registration, DBA (Doing Business As) registration, and/or professional licenses .
- Review the zoning requirements for your business, including any restrictions on operating a business from your home or other specific areas.
- Determine if you need to register for any specific industry-specific regulations , such as data privacy and security laws.
- To avoid any potential legal issues or fines, it is important to comply with all necessary licenses and permits.
- Consider hiring a professional to ensure that all necessary licenses and permits are obtained.
- Keep all of your licenses and permits organized and up to date to avoid any issues in the future.
Once you have determined all necessary licenses and permits, make sure to complete all applications and registrations in a timely manner. This will allow you to launch your computer repair business with confidence, knowing that you are operating within the parameters of the law.
Hire And Train Staff.
Now that you have established your business plan for your computer repair business, it is time to think about building a team for your company. Hiring the right employees is essential for ensuring that your business runs smoothly and efficiently. Here are some important steps that you should follow when hiring and training staff:
- Create a job description: Before you start recruiting, you need to create a job description that outlines the responsibilities and requirements for the position. This will help you attract the right candidates who have the necessary skills and experience for the job.
- Use online job platforms: You can use online job platforms to post your job description and attract applicants. You can also use social media platforms to reach out to potential candidates.
- Interview candidates: Conducting interviews is a crucial step in the hiring process. Make sure that you ask relevant questions that will help you determine if the candidate is a good fit for the position and your company culture.
- Conduct background checks: Before hiring any employee, it is essential to conduct a background check to verify their work history, educational background, and criminal record.
- Provide adequate training: Once you have hired your staff, it is critical to provide them with adequate training so that they can perform their duties efficiently and effectively. You can provide on-the-job training, online training, or in-person training sessions.
- Create a positive work environment: A positive work environment is essential for employee satisfaction and productivity. Make sure to establish clear communication channels and create a supportive work culture.
- Offer competitive compensation: Offering competitive compensation is crucial for attracting and retaining top talent. Make sure to research industry standards and offer a salary and benefits package that is competitive.
Tips for hiring and training staff:
- Clearly define your company culture and values to attract like-minded employees.
- Train your staff to be customer-oriented and provide excellent customer service.
- Encourage open communication and feedback to improve teamwork and collaboration.
- Provide ongoing training and development opportunities to help your staff grow and advance in their careers.
In conclusion, starting a computer repair business requires careful planning and execution. By following the 9 step checklist outlined above, you can ensure that your business is properly researched, adequately funded, and legally compliant. It's important to have a clear understanding of your market and competition, as well as a solid marketing plan to attract customers. With the right foundation in place, your computer repair business can be a successful and profitable venture.
$169.00 $99.00 Get Template
- Starting a Business
- KPI Metrics
- Running Expenses
- Startup Costs
- Pitch Deck Example
- Increasing Profitability
- Sales Strategy
- Rising Capital
- Valuing a Business
- How Much Makes
- Sell a Business
- Business Idea
- How To Avoid Mistakes
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published
Business Plan for Investors
- Bank/SBA Business Plan
- Strategic/Operational Business Plan
- L1 Visa Business Plan
- E1 Treaty Trader Visa Business Plan
- E2 Treaty Investor Visa Business Plan
- EB-1 Business Plan
- EB-2 NIW Business Plan
- EB-5 Business Plan
- Innovator Founder Visa Business Plan
- Start-Up Visa Business Plan
- Expansion Worker Visa Business Plan
- Manitoba MPNP Visa Business Plan
- Nova Scotia NSNP Visa Business Plan
- British Columbia BC PNP Visa Business Plan
- Self-Employed Visa Business Plan
- OINP Entrepreneur Stream Business Plan
- LMIA Owner Operator Business Plan
- ICT Work Permit Business Plan
- LMIA Mobility Program – C11 Entrepreneur Business Plan
- USMCA (ex-NAFTA) Business Plan
- Franchise Business Plan
- Landlord business plan
- Nonprofit Start-Up Business Plan
- USDA Business Plan
- Cannabis business plan
- Ecommerce business plan
- Online boutique business plan
- Mobile application business plan
- Daycare business plan
- Restaurant business plan
- Food delivery business plan
- Real estate business plan
- Business Continuity Plan
- Buy Side Due Diligence Services
- ICO whitepaper
- ICO consulting services
- Confidential Information Memorandum
- Private Placement Memorandum
- Feasibility study
- How it works
- Business Plan Examples
Computer Repair Business Plan Sample
Computer Repair business plan for starting your own shop
Starting a computer repair business is undoubtedly a profitable venture. In this era, computers have become an integral part of offices, industries, organizations, institutes, and even homes. Any enterprise that uses computers to manage its operations also needs some authentic computer repair services to timely maintain, repair, and upgrade the computers.
Thus, if you are thinking about starting this business, you don’t need to worry about the scope and opportunities. Just focus on how to open a computer repair business. For that, you will need to make a business plan for computer repairs, as the first step. In case, you don’t know how to create a comprehensive computer repair business plan pdf , we are providing here the business plan for a startup, PC Fix.
2.1 the business.
PC Fix will be a licensed and registered computer repair business startup. The business will be based in Boston. The business will provide computer repair, maintenance, and upgradation services to individual customers, and small and large business setups.
2.2 Management of Computer Repair Shop
Computers can get software and hardware problems anytime. Therefore, if you want to start a computer repair business you must have adequate staff. So that you can provide your customers with instant support.
While you decide your strategy about how to set up a computer repair business, you should start gathering a skillful workforce. To manage your business, you will also be needing experienced supervisors to monitor all aspects.
2.3 Customers of Computer Repair Shop
Before researching how to start a computer repair business you should explore who will be your customers. Knowing your customers will help you in amassing the equipment and staff that could meet their demands.
PC Fix identified its customers as individuals who possess their personal computers, small and large businesses, educational institutes, and government organizations.
2.4 Business Target
Our aim is to become the most renowned computer repair business within a year of our launch. Our financial targets to be achieved over the next 3 years are demonstrated in this table.
3.1 company owner.
Steve Wayne will be the owner of PC Fix. Steve has an Associate Degree in Computer Science. He has worked as a computer support specialist for three years at Boston Finance Commission.
3.2 Why the computer repair shop is being started
Steve gained extensive experience in his field during his job. After three years he realized that he can earn multiple folds by becoming an entrepreneur. Considering his knowledge area he decided to start computer repair business plan pdf .
3.3 How the computer repair shop will be started
Step1: Plan your business
As a first step, you should plan everything about your computer repair business plan pdf and write it in your computer repair business description. If you don’t know what to include in a computer repair business plan pdf you can take help from this computer repairs business plan example. In this computer repair business plan sample we have listed everything about PC Fix including market analysis, sales business strategy , personnel plan, and financial plan.
Step2: Define your brand
After creating your computer repair business plan pdf , it’s now time to acquire the required licenses and setting up your physical presence. Meanwhile, you should also define your business values and aims to make people feel associated with your goals.
Step3: Start the recruitment
The next step is to initiate your hiring process to find the most competent employees.
Step4: Get ready to promote & market
After you’ve concluded all the above-mentioned steps, you should go for promoting your services.
Step5: Establish a web presence
These days, whenever people need any type of service, they search for it on Google. Therefore, it is very important to establish a strong web presence. It will enable you to come in top searches. And it will also allow you to attract more people by showing them others’ feedback.
Before owning a computer repair business you should decide your services. Through this, you will be able to purchase the right equipment and hire the right staff. In this computer repair business plan template we are listing the services of PC Fix.
- Hardware Repairs/ Maintenance/ Upgradation
We’ll also provide computer hardware repairs. Hardware issues are very common in computers. People often complain about screen freezes, blue-screen, file corruption errors, and abnormal shutdowns. They are all in actual hardware issues.
Along with it, we will provide regular maintenance and upgradation services on an instant basis as well as on monthly and yearly contracts.
- Software Repairs/ Maintenance/ Upgradation
We will troubleshoot and resolve software problems and faults. When hired on a monthly or yearly contract, we’ll ensure regular maintenance and upgradation of software.
- Computer, Laptop and Mobile Accessories
We will also offer computer and cellphone accessories such as network interface cards, batteries, speakers, headsets, USB flash drives, etc.
- Database Management System Development
Our last service will be for businesses, institutes, and organizations. In this, we will develop a cost-effective database management system for them to manage large and irregular datasets.
Marketing Analysis of Computer Repair Shop
Before starting computer repair business it is essential to carry out a detailed marketing analysis. Marketing analysis allows you to identify ongoing and forthcoming market trends. That will eventually enable you to recognize
- The customers that may be directly or indirectly interested in your services.
- The unoccupied opportunities to serve your target customers.
- The ways that can best capture the attention of your target customers.
- The product prices that can help you draw customers as well as earn profit.
Marketing analysis should be done systematically. If you don’t know what to include in a marketing plan, you can take help from here. In this blog on how to write a business plan for computer repairs, we’re providing the marketing analysis done for PC Fix.
5.1 Market Trends
In the United States, almost everyone possesses a personal computer, laptop, or cellphone. Along with it, to manage large data sets and to work on research areas, government organizations, educational institutes, and businesses use computer-based labs and systems. With these electronic gadgets, come their hardware and software issues. Therefore, a computer repair business is needed more than ever.
Currently, more than 41k computer repair businesses are running in the U.S. according to IBISWorld. The market size until 2020 is reported to be $18 billion. Moreover, the industry has also acted as a source of employment for more than 124k people.
5.2 Marketing Segmentation
Before opening a computer repair business, you should identify the groups of your target customers. Doing this will enable you to recognize their expectations, needs, and purchasing capabilities.
As computers are used in nearly every field now, the customers of the computer repair business belong to various walks of life. The major groups of customers as identified by PC Fix are given below.
excellent work, competent advice. Alex is very friendly, great communication. 100% I recommend CGS capital. Thank you so much for your hard work!
The first group of our target customers comprises people and students who have their personal computers and laptops. This category gets really worried on encountering any faults/ problems with their devices. Therefore, we expect them to visit our shop frequently for hardware/ software repairs and also for purchasing electronic accessories.
5.2.2 Small & Large Businesses
The second group of our target customers will be businesses. Nowadays companies use computers to monitor their business, cash flows, and to perform their work. Thus, they are expected to avail of our services on a contract basis as they need regular maintenance and upgradation.
5.2.3 Educational Institutes
Our third category comprises educational institutes that have established computer labs for study, research, and management purposes.
5.2.4 Government Organizations
Last we also expect government organizations based in our city to be our customers for their computer repairs and upgradation.
5.3 Business Target
In your computer repair business model you should clearly define your computer repair business plan pdf targets to be achieved over a specified time. This can help you in directing your workforce and your resources towards a common goal.
PC Fix aims at
- Earning a net profit margin of $28k per month by the end of the third year
- Earning an average rating above 4.65 by the end of the first year
- Maintaining a CSAT score above 90%
- Achieving a customer retention rate of 90% by the end of the first year
5.4 Product Pricing
Our prices are slightly lower than that of our competitors. This is because we want to get introduced to a large number of people as soon as we get launched.
To capture the attention of your target customers amid huge competition, it is necessary to have an efficient sales strategy. In this computer repair business proposal we are providing computer repair business marketing plan of PC Fix. So that you can learn what can be done to stay competitive and successful.
6.1 Competitive Analysis
- We have extremely skilled and collaborative staff.
- We are highly client-oriented and are willing to go the extra mile to satisfy our customers.
- Customers can book our services through our website.
- Only we in our vicinity are providing computer and cellphone accessories. And that is something that will help us draw more customers.
6.2 Sales Strategy
To attract our target customers, we will:
- Establish a strong web presence by making it SEO
- Advertise our services through Google Local ads service
- Provide a 40% discount on all of our services except PC accessories for the first 3 months of the launch
- Provide a 30% discount to organizations, businesses, and institutes on a 6-month maintenance contract.
6.3 Sales Monthly
6.4 Sales Yearly
6.5 Sales Forecast
When you write a business plan computer repair shop, you should also include a list of required employees in it. Through this, you’ll be able to define a criterion to select the most competent employees. Moreover, make sure that you also throw light on their average salaries for at least 3 years in your personnel plan.
7.1 Company Staff
Steve will be the CEO himself. However, to run his business he will hire the following people.
- 1 Co-Manager/ Supervisor to procure equipment & see overall operations
- 8 Computer Repair Technicians
- 1 Software Developer to develop management software & company’s website
- 1 Accountant to maintain financial records
- 2 Sales Executives to promote the company and negotiate contracts
- 1 Store Manager (to manage accessories display and sales)
- 1 Receptionist
7.2 Average Salary of Employees
A considerable amount is needed to build a computer repair business. If you want to make sure that your investment group to business plan doesn’t go waste, you must do accurate financial planning before you actually start your business. An accurate financial plan includes cash flow tables and diagrams, projected profit and loss, gross margins, and balance sheets. Combined, all these segments provide you with the idea of how to cover any unexpected financial loss. Or how much to keep in reserve etc.
Here, we are providing the financial plan made for PC Fix, so that you can take a general idea of computer repair finances.
8.1 Important Assumptions
8.2 brake-even analysis.
8.3 Projected Profit and Loss
8.3.1 profit monthly.
8.3.2 Profit Yearly
8.3.3 Gross Margin Monthly
8.3.4 Gross Margin Yearly
8.4 Projected Cash Flow
8.5 Projected Balance Sheet
8.6 business ratios.
Download Example Computer Repair Business Plan in pdf
OGS capital writers specialize in business plan themes such as mobile phone company business plan , computer store business plan , iPhone repair business planning , solid semiconductor business plan , best biotech business plan , tech business plan , etc.
OGSCapital’s team has assisted thousands of entrepreneurs with top-rate business plan development, consultancy and analysis. They’ve helped thousands of SME owners secure more than $1.5 billion in funding, and they can do the same for you.
E-mail is already registered on the site. Please use the Login form or enter another .
You entered an incorrect username or password
Thank you for your comment. If you need assistance in writing your business plan please contact us by email: [email protected] or call us at USA +1-619-727-5304, UK +44-203-318-1069, Canada +1-613-699-7822, Australia +61-385-956-735.
mentioned in the press:
Search the site:
OGScapital website is not supported for your current browser. Please use: